We can help by:
- Exploring if volunteering is the right option for you.
- Giving information about opportunities that are currently available.
- Assisting with the application process.
- Arranging a ‘taster’ session, if you aren’t sure what you would like to try.
- Matching you with a suitable project or organisation and making the first contact.
- Provision of training and a supported volunteering placement if necessary.
Volunteering is about people giving their time and skills without payment, for the benefit of others, the local community and – very importantly – themselves! Volunteers can learn new skills, build confidence, make new friends or feel good being part of something they believe in.
The best way to identify a potential volunteering placement is to look through our database, which contains details of all the registered opportunities currently available in Midlothian. You can set the search criteria to widen your search into south Edinburgh and beyond if necessary.
What about COVID-19?
Unfortunately the number of volunteering opportunities available in Midlothian has decreased due to the pandemic, resulting in less options for young people to volunteer, especially in roles that are face to face. This doesn’t meant that there are no opportunities, but you may need to be more flexible about the types of roles you would be willing to try at the moment. It could be that a digital or outdoor project would be more suitable than one indoors or in a large group.
We are working with other local organisations to try and solve this problem through the creation of new opportunities specifically for young people. The best thing to do is to get in touch with us to discuss what options are available.