Grassy Riggs is a service for older people and their carers in Woodburn, Dalkeith. The service is based in a community hub building and provides a warm, supportive environment where people over the age of 65 can come together to experience meaningful social engagement, make friends and try out new opportunities. The main purpose of Grassy Riggs is to alleviate social isolation and exclusion. Our service provides a meeting place, drop-in and support for carers, as well as people who are cared for. We also run thematic groups every week and the cafe – which serves healthy food – is open to the wider community.
During the pandemic we have had to stop running our cafe and group work. However, we have still been very active in supporting our service users and the local community by:
- Delivering food to those who are more isolated/vulnerable.
- Providing daily phone calls.
- Running Garden Bubble socials during the summer months.
- Facilitating Connect Online digital engagement through Volunteer Midlothian.
- Providing additional input as necessary (such as referrals to social work, or Dalkeith CAB for financial advice).
- Through daily updates on our Facebook page.